- expand Admission


Formal admission to the University is not required to enroll in courses offered through the College of Extended Learning. However, registration for courses may be limited to those who have completed certain prerequisites, or who can demonstrate to the instructor's satisfaction equivalent preparation for upper-division work. Resident CSUSB students may augment their campus studies with Extended Learning coursework, provided they do not exceed University study-load limitations. Under the same conditions, coursework from the regular on-campus program is available to Extended Learning students without formal admission to the University.

Auditing Courses

Students electing to audit a course are exempt from examinations and are not formally evaluated. (A transcript is not established.) Students may change from "credit" to "audit", or vice versa, at any time prior to the third meeting of a full-term course. Students auditing a course are subject to the same fee structure as credit students and regular class attendance is expected. These guidelines also apply to Open University students.


Extended Learning coursework adheres to the academic standards of the University. All of the activities usually associated with college coursework are integral parts of the Extended Learning instructional program, when appropriate.

 - expand Grades & Transcripts


Grade reports are mailed at the end of quarter.

Grading System

All students registering in professional development courses (with prefixes other than EENC or EECR), whether through extension or in-service contract will receive letter grades, unless otherwise specified. Students enrolling in regular CSUSB degree-applicable courses offered through Extended Learning will be evaluated by the system of letter grades outlined in the general catalog. Grade reports will be mailed to students. All grades, except I (Incomplete) are final when filed by University extension instructors. The grade of I (Incomplete) allows a student extra time to complete course requirements due to unforeseen circumstances that have prevented course completion. The grade may be removed and replaced by a letter grade by completing the work required as negotiated between instructor and student prior to course completion, provided the work is completed within one year. It is the student's responsibility to bring to the instructor's attention for approval problems that might justify a grade of Incomplete.

Letter Grade System

Your work will be evaluated by the instructor using letter grades, and the grade and the academic credit (measured in units attempted) will appear on your transcript. Units appearing on your transcript will be considered earned if the grade achieved is D- or higher.

Letter Grade System
Letter Grade Description
A Superior
B Good
C Fair
D Poor
F Failure
IC Incomplete (work of passing quality but incomplete, may be revised by completing work as required)
CR Credit
NC No Credit
AU Audit
WU Withdrawal Unauthorized (not officially withdrawn from course; completed assignments and/or course activities were insufficient)
W Withdrawal
RD Report Delayed--grades were not submitted at the time of computer processing


  1. Submit a written request to : Records, Registration & Evaluations; California State University, San Bernardino; 5500 University Parkway, San Bernardino, CA 92407.
  2. Request that the transcript not be sent until the most courses you have taken appear on your transcript records.
  3. The charge is as follows: $6 for a single copy; $3 for each additional copy (prepared at the same time).
  4. Transcript generation may take up to four weeks from the date your request is received by the Records Office.

Download the Transcript Request Form (PDF, 150k).

Course Numbers/Credits

CSUSB academic credit courses are typically "measured" in quarter units. Academic credit represents a measure of time, with 1-quarter unit of credit equivalent to 10 hours of instruction, to convert quarter units to the equivalent measure in semester units, multiply by 2/3.

Academic Plan

California State University, San Bernardino operates on the quarter system. The fall, winter and spring terms each consist of 10 weeks of instruction plus a final exam week. The university also offers a summer quarter allowing students to accelerate their progress and take summer courses. Summer quarter has overlapping five-week and one 10-week terms.

Most lecture/discussion courses are offered for four units of credit and meet four hours per week. Each unit of credit typically requires two hours of out-of-class study and preparation in addition to the hour of direct instruction in the class. Laboratories and activity-based courses, such as studio art, music, physical education, computer science, etc. meet for 2-3 hours of instruction a week for each unit of credit. Students transferring from a semester system campus should note semester courses are five weeks longer (15 weeks versus 10) so that a quarter unit is equal to 2/3 of a semester unit. (Thus, three semester units are equivalent to 4.5 quarter units.)

The total number of quarter units required for graduation varies from a minimum of 180 for the Bachelor of Arts degree to 198 units for the Bachelor of Science. Students planning to graduate in four years need to take an average of 15 units per quarter to reach 180 units. Master's degrees require a minimum of 45 units, but some professional degrees, such as the M.S.W. in Social Work and M.S. in Psychology, have licensing and/or accreditation standards demanding up to 90 units. The Ed.D. in Educational Leadership requires 92 units for completion.

Quarter Units Semester Units
1 2/3
2 1 1/3
3 2
4 2 2/3
5 3 1/3
6 4

Extended Learning courses numbered in the 300s, 400s, 500s and 600s are drawn from the regular upper-division and graduate curricula of the University (600-level courses are designed for graduate students specifically). A maximum of 36-quarter units of credit earned in such courses may be accepted in a baccalaureate degree program and 13 quarter units toward master's program at CSUSB.

Extended Learning professional development courses (those with prefixes other than EENC or EECR numbered 1000 or above), are developed to meet special needs of particular groups or communities. These classes confer extension credit, denoting an investment of time and accomplishment comparable to that required in established University courses. This credit is generally honored by school districts as evidence of professional advancement for salary increments/increases on the pay scale. Teachers are encouraged to consult with their school districts/employers in advance to determine if their course choices will be accepted toward salary advancement. Credits earned in these professional-level courses are not applicable to credentials or degree programs. Moreover, courses with prefixes of EENC, EECR or academic prefixes followed by course numbers of 1000 and above are not applicable to credentials or degree programs.

To use acceptable Extended Learning credit in a degree program, students must ultimately make formal application for admission to the University. Only upon matriculation is the University Admissions Office authorized to make an official evaluation concerning the applicability of an individual's accumulated Extended Learning and other credits transfer, to a particular degree. The College of Extended Learning will, however, provide or arrange for informal advisement regarding the applicability of specific courses to a student's degree objective.

 - expand CEU/CECH

The Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is a nationally-recognized unit of measurement for a variety of noncredit programs applying toward relicensure, promotion or career advancement. A cumulative permanent transcript of all CEU study is provided to Extended Learning students and is available from the Student Records Office. CEU credit is not applicable toward degrees, credentials or credential renewal. Some re-licensing boards may require that renewal information be expressed in Continuing Education Contact Hours (CECH). Ten Continuing Education Contact Hours are equivalent to one Continuing Education Unit. Each hour of instruction equals one CECH or .1 CEU.

 - expand Registration

Early registration is suggested for all classes and required for many, with the date noted specifically in the course description. Five ways to register:

  1. Register online, using our secure online registration system. Parking passes may also be purchased when registering online.
  2. By mail, using the registration form (PDF). You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the form. Mail registration form to: College of Extended Learning, 5500 University Parkway, San Bernardino, CA 92407-2393.
  3. In person, during the week at the College of Extended Learning, Sierra Hall, Room 101. For office hours, refer to the Contact Us Web page. If paying with cash, please have exact amount.
  4. By phone, (909) 537-5975, using VISA, MasterCard or American Express.

In most cases, early registration assures enrollment in a course; however, some courses have set limits on enrollment and registrations are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Participants must register in advance as on site registration is not available. Late registration may be permitted, subject to the instructor's approval. Students auditing a course must also register and pay full course fees.

Declined Credit Cards and Dishonored Checks

There is a $25 fee for all declined credit cards or dishonored checks.

Confirmation of Classes

Students may wish to call the College of Extended Learning to verify receipt of their registration material. Although confirmations are sent to all students, they do not always reach students in advance of the first class meeting. Once a registration is received by the College of Extended Learning, it is considered firm.

Change of Program

The time of withdrawal shall be the date on which the College of Extended Learning is notified in writing of a student's withdrawal, or by postmark date on the mailed notification, whichever is earlier. Failure to withdraw from a credit course in which one is officially registered, but does not complete, will result in a grade of "WU." Refund requests will be accepted through the close of business on the final refund date (see below). If you are eligible for a refund, please submit your request in writing.

FAX: (909) 537-5907
Mail: College of Extended Learning California State University, San Bernardino Attn: Refunds 5500 University Parkway San Bernardino, CA 92407

 - expand Important student fee information

The College of Extended Learning makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased to meet the operating costs of delivering continuing education courses and programs. Therefore, the College of Extended Learning reserves the right to increase or modify fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular quarter has begun. All College of Extended Learning fees are subject to change.

 - expand Refund schedule

Full Refund

Students must officially notify the College of Extended Learning in writing and in advance of the course start date to request withdrawal and a refund. Students withdrawing 48 hours before the first class meeting date of five or less meetings will receive a full refund, minus a $25 administrative fee. Courses which cost $75 or less will have a $10 administrative fee.

In the event of a cancellation of an Extended Learning course by the college because of insufficient enrollment or for other reasons, a full refund of fees will be made.

Partial Refund

Students withdrawing before the second meeting date from classes of 6-8 meetings will be refunded 65% of total fees. No refund is given after 2nd class meeting begins. Students withdrawing before the third meeting date from classes of 9 or more meetings will be refunded 65% of total fees. No refund is given after 3rd class meeting begins.

No Refund

No refund will be made for requests received after the specified final refund date; however, exceptions to this policy will be considered only under the most compelling circumstances. Such petitions can be sent in letter form with appropriate documentation to: Refund Appeals; CSUSB, College of Extended Learning; 5500 University Parkway; San Bernardino, CA 92407; or by fax to (909) 537-5907.

Refund checks are mailed approximately 2-4 weeks after the withdrawal request is received by the College of Extended Learning. If a credit card payment was received, student will need to provide the credit card information in order for the refund to be issued.

For extension credit online courses only:

Please choose your extension credit online course carefully. Once you have been given your password and access to the online course, refunds or transfer of fees are no longer possible.

Academic Credit Degree Programs, Certificate and Courses (Special Sessions).

For programs whose duration is not listed in the Refund Policy, the campus census dates and related refund dates will apply. For example, for programs lasting 6 weeks, the census date is the 8th day of class and no refund will be issued after that day.

Cancelled Courses

Extended Learning courses are self-supporting (not subsidized by state monies), and all course-related expenses are paid from student registration fees. Occasionally, this means that courses with low enrollments must be cancelled before they begin. When this occurs, pre-registered students may elect to transfer their fees to another course or request a full refund. The College of Extended Learning makes every effort to notify students by telephone of cancelled courses in advance of the first session.

 - expand Discounts

Multiple Enrollment Discount

The College of Extended Learning offers a discount on select Education for Educators courses. Eligible courses are identified in the quarterly Course Catalog with the 10% symbol. A 10% discount is taken off the course fees* for all course(s) when students register for at least two courses in the same quarter and on the same registration form.

* Discount applies only to course fees; additional costs for materials and texts are not discounted; discount cannot be combined with any other discount

CSUSB Faculty and Staff Discount

The College of Extended Learning offers a 10% discount to all CSUSB staff and faculty. Discount applies to course fees* for extension courses, seminars, workshops and re-licensing programs.

* Discount does not apply to online or degree-applicable courses; additional costs for materials and texts are not discounted; discount cannot be combined with any other discount.

CSUSB Alumni Association Member Discount

The College of Extended Learning offers a 10% discount to CSUSB Alumni Association members. Discount applies to the course fees* for extension courses, seminars, workshops and re-licensing programs. Membership will be verified with the CSUSB Alumni Association after course registration.

* Discount does not apply to online or degree-applicable courses; additional costs for materials and texts are not discounted; discount cannot be combined with any other discount.

 - expand CPR cards

Students who successfully complete CPR courses will be given a completion card from the College of Extended Learning. A replacement fee will be charged for lost CPR cards in the amount of $10. For more information, call (909) 537-5976.

 - expand Parkings

Students enrolling in an on-campus Extended Learning class meeting, are required to obey state regulations as do all other students and staff. Purchasing a daily parking permit at one of the parking permit dispensers located on campus will satisfy the requirement.

These permits must be in view on the dashboard. In addition, quarterly permits may be purchased at the Bursar's Office during CSUSB working hours. Parking permits are required seven days a week, unless otherwise posted on campus. The rates are $6.00 for a daily, weekday pass; $6.00 for weekend pass (Friday, 5:00pm-Sunday); or $3.00 for weekend, daily pass.

 - expand Library

Limited use of the CSUSB John M. Pfau Library is available to students taking Extended Learning courses for credit upon presentation of a valid library card, available from the College of Extended Learning.

Please contact the Pfau Library at (909) 537-5084 or visit CSUSB John M. Pfau Library for more information and to confirm hours during holiday periods and summer months.

 - expand Mailing/Course catalogs

If you would like to be added to or removed from our mailing list, please contact the College of Extended Learning at (909) 537-3994 or E-mail: cel@csusb.edu

 - expand Additional Information


Extended Learning instructors are either members of the resident faculty of the University or highly qualified persons approved by the resident faculty. In all cases, they are requested to explain fully to students the scope, content and organization of their courses and to be explicit with regard to objectives and grading standards.

Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit Programs

If you are enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program or are taking courses to acquire or improve job skills, you may qualify for a Hope Scholarship or Lifetime Learning Tax Credit. The Hope Scholarship tax credit is available only to students in the first two years of post-secondary education who are enrolled at least half time in an eligible program. The Lifetime Learning tax credit is available to students at all educational and enrollment levels who are enrolled at an eligible educational institution. The tax credits are based on the amount of program fees, less grants and other tax-free educational assistance, and the taxpayer's modified adjusted gross income. Hope credits apply to fees paid after December 31, 1997 and Lifetime Learning credit applies to fees paid after June 30, 1998. Consult IRS Publication 970 or your tax advisor for additional information.

Note to Taxpayers:

Treasury regulation ยง1.162.5 permits an income tax deduction for education expenses (registration fees and cost of travel, meals, and lodging) undertaken to:

  1. Maintain or improve skills required in one's employment or other trade or business, or
  2. Meet expressed requirements of an employer or a law imposed as a condition to retention of employment, job status or rate of compensation.

Consult your tax advisor to determine if this applies to your particular circumstance.

Services to Students with Disabilities

The California State University does not discriminate on the basis of handicap in violation of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the regulation adopted thereunder. More specifically, the California State University does not discriminate in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in, its programs and activities. The Services to Students with Disabilities office has been designated to coordinate the efforts of California State University, San Bernardino to comply with the Act and its implementing regulations. For information concerning special services to accommodate a physical, perceptual or learning disability, please contact the College of Extended Learning at (909) 537-5976.

Campus Safety Report

California State University, San Bernardino's annual Campus Safety Report includes crime statistics from the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, on public property immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus and at our satellite Palm Desert campus. The report includes institutional policies concerning campus safety and security, such as policies concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the University Police Department at (909) 537-7777 or visiting the campus Police Department Web site.

Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act

The Act sets forth the requirements designed to protect the privacy of students' records maintained by the Campus. The law provides students access to their records and the opportunity to challenge a record. The Act also allows the Campus to release "directory information" to certain parties. For more information, see the CSUSB Bulletin of Courses or visit the university's Financial Aid Web site.

(EO 1098) Student Conduct Procedures

(EO 1095) Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, Sexual Misconduct, Dating and Domestic Violence, and Stalking Policy