Internal and external communications are highly emphasized in many businesses. Employees in a variety of industries rely on written instructions and procedures, contributing to the demand for technical communicators. This program is geared towards anyone seeking professional career training in technical writing. This program will teach you how to improve your understanding and use of written communications, making you an asset in any administrative, management, or technical writer role.
You will learn research methods, audience considerations, various writing styles, drafting and revision techniques, working in a collaborative environment and more. This program will also introduce you to a variety of media and formats. You will learn about the different writing standards for websites, emails, proposals, and technical instructions.
All textbooks and materials are included with the cost of the program.
Who Should Attend
This program is geared towards anyone seeking professional career training in technical writing.
Upon successful completion of the program you will earn a certificate of completion from California State University, San Bernardino - College of Extended Learning.
- The entire program is offered online
- Instructor-facilitated online courses
- Start anytime during the quarter
- Lean from the convenience of your home and at your pace
80 hours; 6 months
- Defining Technical Writing
- Types of Writing
- Taking a Writing Inventory
- Engaging in Critical Thinking Situations to Facilitate Writing On-Demand
- Establishing Common Ground with an Intended Reader
- Knowing Your Ethical Obligations
- Choosing a Topic
- Determining the Purpose for Writing
- Analyzing an Audience
- Evaluating Common Ground
- Audience Analysis
- Informative Abstract
- Business of Letter Transmittal
- Extended Proposal
- Appropriating Content to the Audience
- Focus & Unity
- Sentence Structure
- Diction & Word Usage
- Creating a Rough Draft
You will learn:
- Differences between academic and technical writing
- Effective research methods
- Writing to meet the needs of your audience, including writing with clarity and utility
- Awareness of ethical issues in technical writing
- Advanced grammar rules
- Mastering a variety of technical documents, including memos, analyses, letters, executive summaries, and reports
This program can be taken from either a Mac or a PC. It is compatible with the Windows XP and later operating systems and IE 7 and later browsers. There are no specific computer requirements other than an Internet connection, e-mail account, Microsoft Word (for assignment submissions), and Windows Media Player (which is available as a free download). We recommend that you use the latest version of Internet Explorer in place of other Web browsers.
Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Acrobat Reader are required for this program.
Textbooks for this program are included in the cost of tuition:
- Technical Writing for Success
- Technical Communication
There are no specific prerequisites for this program, but before enrolling you should have a good grasp of the English language, grammar, and punctuation, and you'll need to be comfortable using e-mail and the Internet.