The Paralegal Online Training Program will prepare you for success as a paralegal or legal secretary. You’ll learn about the U.S. legal system, how to conduct legal research interviews, how to perform legal analyses, and more. This training program will also prepare you to take the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA) certification exam.
Tuition includes access to the preparatory exam courses as well as access to Westlaw to complete assigned research projects.
Upon successful completion of the program you will earn a certificate of completion from California State University, San Bernardino, College of Extended Learning.
- The entire program is offered online
- Instructor-facilitated online courses
- Start anytime during the quarter
- Lean from the convenience of your home and at your pace
300 hours; 12 months
- Paralegal in the Legal System
- Paralegal Employment
- On-the-Job Realities
- Regulation of Paralegals
- Attorney and Paralegal Ethics
- Introduction to the Legal System
- Introduction to Legal Analysis
- Legal Interviewing
- Investigation in a Law Office
- Litigation Assistantship
- Legal Research 101
- Advanced Legal Research
- Legal Writing
- Introduction to the Use of Computers
- Introduction to Law Office Administration
- Tort Law, Product Liability, and Consumer Law
- Contracts, Insurance, and Property Law
- Estates and Family Law
- Laws Affecting Business
- Criminal Law
- Understand the common responsibilities and duties of paralegals
- Know how the paralegal field is regulated
- Understand ethics for attorneys and paralegals
- Be familiar with how the U.S. legal system is structured and how it operates
- Be able to perform legal analyses
- Conduct legal interviews
- Understand the duties of a litigation assistant in the four stages of litigation
- Conduct legal research
- Implement guidelines and proper etiquette for legal writing
- Understand methods of formal and informal administrative advocacy
This program is compatible with the Windows XP and later operating systems and IE 7 and later browsers and can be taken from either a Mac or a PC.
Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Acrobat Reader are required for this program.
It is recommended that students have Microsoft Office suite (especially Word and PowerPoint).
ed2go will provide the required textbooks for this program. You'll receive Introduction to Paralegalism, by William P. Statsky, and Paralegal Today : The Legal Team at Work, by Roger Miller and Mary Meinzinger.