Marketing Design Certificate
The Marketing Design Online Certificate Program, offered in partnership with ed2go, focuses on helping you develop technical skills and creative artistry using applied marketing principles. You’ll complete a variety of projects, including marketing concept development, retouching, compositing, illustration, advertising design, logo design and corporate branding.
Who Should Attend
Those interested in building skills and a portfolio for a design career.
Upon successful completion of the program you will earn a certificate of completion from California State University, San Bernardino, College of Extended Learning.
- The entire program is offered online
- Instructor-facilitated online courses
- Start anytime during the quarter
- Learn from the convenience of your home and at your pace
|Course No.||GES 502|
* Fees are subject to change
360 hours; 36 weeks
Get a thorough grounding in Adobe Photoshop, the premiere digital imaging program for graphic and digital designers. Hands-on projects show how to select, enhance, distort, color, scale and manipulate images and artworks—or create them from scratch. Every designer must tame this creative powerhouse of a program.
Build a working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, the graphic designer's vector program of choice. You’ll explore selection tools, drawing tools, layers, the pen tool, transformations and distortions, type tools, and modifying paths and shapes. Tapping into the power of vector software allows you to produce detailed and scalable art for almost any application.
Lay a foundation for a career in business marketing design by studying marketing concepts and how they impact the design process. Students learn design principles and explore design case studies from the world of marketing communications design. Focus of the class is building a basic understanding of how marketing ideas translate into an effective design.
Develop essential skills for designing logos, marketing materials and advertising programs to establish and promote corporate identities. Case studies focus on giant corporations such as CBS, BMW and Sony and how they established their corporate images and business strategically. Projects require you to design or redesign corporate identities for both existing companies and newly established businesses.
Focus on developing appropriate color systems for graphic design projects. Projects explore the principles, terminology and applications of color theory, with an emphasis on manipulating color. A working knowledge of the expression and perception of color, and color interaction, lends credibility and sophistication to a designer's work
Explore the critical role of typography in graphic design. Course projects build an understanding of the anatomy of the letterform, the distinguishing features of different typefaces and creative applications of type. An assured grasp of typography is essential in any visual communication project.
Explore the philosophy and process behind designing a logo. Students learn the importance of corporate identity and the different stages in a typical logo design project. The course establishes a solid conceptual and practical grounding for anyone interested in pursuing a career in visual identity, from a design or a marketing perspective.
Learn the rules of advertising design from both a creative and a business perspective. Case studies from print, Web and TV media showcase advertising concepts at work: persuasion, color psychology and composition, copywriting and typography, and brand communication. You’ll create ads for newspapers, magazines, subways and transit and outdoor applications, as well as a multi-part ad campaign.
- Entry-level professional Photoshop skills
- Develop distinctive color palettes
- Entry-level professional skills in creating vector art illustrations in Illustrator
- Research and select appropriate typefaces and design typography
- Analyze basic marketing principles and strategies
- Create simple, graphically appealing logo/identity designs
- Develop the ability to create effective advertising design for campaigns in different print media
- Research and develop an effective concept for visual identity
- Must have access to a computer and Internet.
- This program requires Adobe Photoshop CS5 or CS6 and Adobe Illustrator CS5 or CS6. The software is not provided with this program.
- No textbooks are required for this program